Monday, November 26, 2007

Daring Bakers-Potato Bread with a Bonus-Green Olive Focaccia







Baking bread is probably the most enjoyable experience that I have in my kitchen. There is nothing more satisfying than a freshly baked homemade loaf of bread, so I was elated when Tanna of mykitcheninhalfcups chose potato bread as the November Daring Bakers challenge.Since I normally used my bread machine's dough cycle to mix and knead, I was especially thrilled to see that one of the rules required hand kneading the dough. I missed feeling the bread in my hands transform from a shaggy mass to satiny elastic dough ready to be shaped for baking.

Tanna's recipe worked quite well with the 16 ounces of potato and made a soft, but manageable dough. I used King Arthur European Artisan Flour suggested as an alternative to all-purpose flour. The finished loaf made great toast and even good French toast, but my favorite part of the challenge was making the Green Olive Focaccia. The potato dough was perfect for the focaccia!















If only the photograph session had been as easy! I realized I had left my trusty Bogen-Manfrotto tripod in Atlanta while visiting my daughter. In a frenzy, I rushed to the local camera store to buy one and although there was a poor selection of sturdy ones, I found one that could possibly support the weight of my hefty Canon 5D and 100mm Macro lens. Halfway through photographing, my Yorkie, Razzle prances in with the body cap for my camera in his mouth and partially chewed. Was I ever going to get this done! Finally, after chasing the dog around the house for my cap and before I lost my light, I got the photos.
A good thing I did for we demolished the focaccia before dinner!

Looking forward to the next Daring Bakers challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment