Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cauliflower Puree














When I began this food blog, encouraged by my sister Martha, who has two very fine blogs- crossing stitches and potpourri, I knew that whatever I made, my husband and I would have to eat as there are only two of us now.

Cauliflower has never been a favorite food , as a matter of fact, white food in general-blanquette de veau comes to mind, is not a favorite. Vanilla ice cream and white desserts are exceptions. When Lara of Still Life With... whose photos are top notch and is admin of SLW-a group on Flickr chose white food as the January assignment, I had to re-think white food.

While strolling around the produce section of my local grocery store, I espied a beautiful cauliflower and before I knew it, this gorgeous white vegetable was in my cart and I was headed home to cook -WHITE FOOD!! Actually, this is one of the tastiest cauliflower dishes I have eaten! It's such a simple dish to prepare and the sauteed cauliflower slices give a little color and texture to the puree.


Cauliflower Puree

1 head of cauliflower, florets trimmed and roughly chopped. Reserve a few slices for garnish.
1 cup water
2-3 Tablespoons light sour cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
Salt and White Pepper to taste

Combine cauliflower and water in a medium pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove florets from pot and place in the bowl of a food processor, adding 1-2 tablespoons of cooking water. Puree until smooth. Add sour cream and butter and process another 10 seconds or so. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, saute a few slices of cauliflower in a tablespoon of butter until tender and lightly brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment