Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mulligatawny Soup














Mulligatawny must be on a lot of bloggers minds these days! After my soup was made and photos taken, I was finishing up research on the history of mulligatawny when I came across Ahaar's blog-Pleasure and Substance with a posting on mulligatawny soup and entered in JFI for Coconut hosted by Ashwini at Food For Thought. I had almost decided not posting my mulligatawny soup, but when I saw that Ahaar's version of mulligatawny was much different from mine, I changed my mind.

Here is my version of Mulligatawny Soup adapted from Bon Appetit and is my entry in Waiter, There's Something in my--Stew blog event hosted by Cook Sister, Passionate Cook and Spitoon Extra.















Ingredients

6 whole cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
3 whole cloves, finely crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder(Madras)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 boneless chicken breasts, diced large
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 large onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
2 quarts chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup long grain rice
2 large tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup whipping cream
chopped fresh parsley, toasted unsweetened coconut, and toasted sliced almonds, for garnish.


Combine garlic and spices. Melt butter, add chicken breast pieces and saute in batches until lightly browned on all sides. Remove chicken and drain all but one tablespoon fat from pot. Add celery, onion carrot, leek and spice mixture-stir well. Add chicken and 2 cups stock. Cook 15 minutes. Add remaining stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Add rice to soup and cook 15 more minutes. Blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and blend in cream.

Taste and season with salt and pepper. To serve, ladle soup in bowl and garnish with parsley, coconut and toasted almonds. Serves 12 for a first course or 6 for main dish. Serve with pompadums or French bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment