Saturday, September 22, 2007

Coffee Syrup with Panna Cotta


















My purchase of some antique sterling demitasse spoons sent me a on search for small desserts to show off my new treasures. I have been obsessed with espresso since my daughter and son-in-law gave me a Nespresso D300 for a milestone birthday. When I saw an article on coffee desserts in a recent issue of Donna Hay's fabulous magazine, I knew the recipe for Coffee-Syrup Panna Cotta would showcase my new demitasse spoons and also, satisfy my coffee obsession.

The demitasse spoons were in a new shipment of antique silver which had just been recently displayed in a glass case at the entrance of a large antique store where I always find something unique to use in my food photography. I passed up a matching set of twelve demitasse spoons for eight different spoons, some engraved with an initial on the handle and one even had the name "Cara" engraved in the bowl of the spoon. Was "Cara" a name of someone or did it mean "dear one" as in the Italian word? I'll never know but in my mind's eye, I can conjure up many different pictures.

But I digress---.Panna cotta is a soft-set creamy delicious mix of cream, sugar, a flavoring of some sort and gelatin. It's beautiful served with fresh fruit, berries especially, and can be made several days in advance which makes it a great dinner party dessert. With Coffee-Syrup with Panna Cotta, you can have your dessert and coffee at the same time.























Ingredients

1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup (8oz) single cream (half and half)
1 cup milk, extra
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar or icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

coffee syrup

1/4 cup (2 fl oz) prepared strong coffee liquid or espresso
1/4 cup (55g/2oz) caster (superfine)sugar

To make the coffee syrup, place coffee and sugar in small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened some and syrupy. Set aside and allow to cool.

In a small bowl, pour milk over gelatin and let stand 2-3 minutes. Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the softened gelatin to the cream mixture and whisk to combine. Allow to cool. Pour the coffee mixture into six 1/4 (2 fl oz) cup capacity and slowly pour over the panna cotta mixture. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or until set. Makes 6. I added a small shot of coffee liqueur to the panna cotta mixture.

You can use all half and half or a combination of cream, half and half or sour cream such as 1 cup cream, 1 cup sour cream, etc.

Recipe from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment