Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tami's Super Soup Challenge 2007-Chilled Pineapple Gazpacho





























I have been writing this food and photo blog for just over a year now, but it was in December of 2006 before I had nerve enough to enter a blog event. Tami's Super Soup Challenge 2006, in honor of her mother, was my very first. I was a nervous wreck as I knew other far more accomplished bloggers than I would be critiquing my post. I am still nervous when I enter these events, but I am enjoying trying new dishes and practicing my photography skills.

Now Tami is having her second annual Super Soup Challenge-The Rematch which gives me another opportunity to make my most favorite dish-soup. Now the summer has been miserable and it's still hot so I wanted to make a cold soup. Our American West has been brutalized by the heat as well, so maybe that's why the September issue of Sunset Magazine had this colorful and refreshing recipe for-

Chilled Pineapple Gazpacho


Ingredients
1 slightly under ripe pineapple
1/2 cup peeled, diced red bell pepper (1/4-in. pieces)
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, diced cucumber (1/4-in. pieces)
1/4 cup finely chopped, rinsed red onion
1/4 to 1/2 serrano chile, seeded if you like (for less heat), and minced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus some leaves for garnish
1 to 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
About 1/2 tsp. sea salt


Preparation
1. Juice pineapple in a juicer, or peel and core the fruit, then purée in a blender and strain. Pour juice into a medium bowl.
2. Stir in red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, serrano chile, and chopped cilantro. Season to taste with fresh lime juice and sea salt.

3. Cover and chill until very cold, about 2 hours. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.

Serves 4.

This remarkably flavored soup is best made with a fresh pineapple-don't be tempted to shortcut by using canned pineapple juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment