Thursday, September 27, 2007

Lemon Grass and Ginger Jelly




































Johanna of thepassionatecook is hosting this round of "Waiter, There's Something in My----. WTSIM was created by Johanna, Jeanne of Cook Sister and Andrew of SpittoonExtra and hosted alternately by the three.

This time it's savory preserves. So I'm thinking-I have a ton of lemon grass growing in a pot in my garden, a bag of lemons and very fresh piece of ginger root, a lemon-based jelly would be good. I began my search for a savory jelly in which I could use my ingredients already on hand, especially since I only have a few days in which to prepare and photograph. My ever useful and wonderful book on "The Complete Book of Preserves, Pickles, Jams, Jellies,Chutneys and Relishes" by Catherine Atkinson and Maggie Mayhew was the book I used just recently for Pear and Walnut Chutney. I made it especially for Thanksgiving 2007 as it had to mature for at least a month to let the flavors meld. However, I couldn't wait that long! I spread some Boursin Cheese on plain crackers and topped it with the pear and walnut chutney for an easy appetizer. The flavors were terrific!

Lemon Grass and Ginger Jelly goes well with Asian-styled foods such as Crispy Chinese Duck.


Lemon Grass and Ginger Jelly

2 lemon grass stalks
6 1/4 cups water
3 lbs lemons, washed and cut into small pieces
2 oz fresh ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
2 1/4 cups (about) granulated sugar

Using a rolling pin, bruise the lemon grass, then chop roughly. Put the chopped lemon grass in a preserving pan and pour over the water. Add the lemons and ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the lemons are pulpy.

Pour the fruit and juices into a sterilized jelly bag, suspended over a large bowl. If you don't have a jelly bag, you can use several layers of muslin tied securely at the ends with a strong string, then tied together and hung from a single support. I used this method and hung the bag from my cabinet knob. A bit crude, but it worked. Leave to drain about 3 hours, or until the juice stops dripping.

Measure the juice into the cleaned preserving pan, adding 2 1/4 cups sugar for every 2 1/2 cups juice. Heat the mixture gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved completely. Boil rapidly for about 10 minutes until the jelly reaches the setting point (105C/220F). Remove from heat.

Skim any scum off the surface using a slotted spoon, then pour the jelly into warmed sterilized jars, cover and seal. Store in a cool,dark place and use within a year. Once opened, refrigerate. Eat within 3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment