Friday, July 13, 2012

Mug Tutorial

Hi everyone!  I'm back with the TUTORIAL for my Wedding Mugs - my project for Exploring Cricut this week.  So, here goes!  This is the final product:



The first thing I did, was go to the dollar store, and buy some plain glass mugs for a dollar each:


I then created the design on my Gypsy girl.  In this case, the Mr and Mrs are from Gypsy Font.  I welded them together.  The lips are from the Don Juan cartridge, and the Mustache is from Winter Frolic.  He belongs to one of the wise men.  I used the hide contour feature to hide the beard and all the other little pieces, and then re-sized the mustache.

I then cut out the designs with Vinyl, using my Cricut, and adhered the vinyl to the clear mugs.  As you can see, I used the negative image.  Before I took off the transfer paper, I made sure the edges of the word and image were VERY well stuck down, because I wanted to be sure that my final image was nice and crisp.


Then, I peeled back the transfer tape.  The only tricky part was the little dots inside the "R"s.  So here are my two prepared mugs:


I etched the glass, using a product called Armour Etch.  I bought it at Michael's using a 50% off coupon, cause it is NOT cheap!  It is a dangerous product, so you have to use it outside, and wear gloves and goggles, I even wore an apron.  I made sure the kids and the dog were nowhere near me.


Following the directions on the bottle, I applied the the Armour Etch:


After waiting the required amount of time, I rinsed off the etching cream, and then - voila!  Two perfect, hand-made wedding gifts!



Aren't they fun?  I made a few of these mugs to have as wedding gifts.  I think they make lovely, personal presents.

Be sure to pop over to Exploring Cricut - they have a new project every day created by one of their designers, AND a challenge every 2 weeks.  There is tons of inspiration there!  Check it out!

A la prochaine...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment